Greek English
 
Home Page / What to know / History
Print this page
History

On the foothills of Madari, on a mean altitude of 1000 m emerges the beautiful village of Lagoudera.

It is a village of the Nicosia District which falls within the geographical region of the Pitsilia villages. It is built in a mountainous area and it is ranked among the top 20 villages of Cyprus as far as their altitude is concerned.

Historical Information 
During the Frankish occupation, according to Mas Latrie, the village was a royal estate and in fact, as the Great Cyprus Encyclopedia remarks, it was known by the same name, Lagodera. Even today, a valley of the village, which used to be part of the royal estate and which is full of hazelnut trees, is still called “Vasilitzi” (royal). According to tradition, the royal estate used to belong to Markos Cornaro, who had a mansion in the neighbouring village of Handria.  

The village, or at least a small housing, has possibly existed since the Byzantine period, meaning prior to the Frankish occupation. In particular, the Great Cyprus Encyclopedia remarks that the establishment of the village “must be dated back to approximately the end of the Byzantine period, when the housing of Lagoudera must have begun to develop due to the existence of a Monastery in the area which was dedicated to “Panagia tou Araka”.

During the liberating fight against the British colonizers from 1955 until 1959, Lagoudera, a village with many hills and dense vegetation, offered shelter to the guerillas of EOKA.

 

Population
Lagoudera is one of the villages which have been struck by urbanization. The number of residents is constantly falling, with the most important decrease, as the following table reveals, being recorded during the last 30 years. Today, very few people and mostly elderly ones continue living in the village. These residents are dedicated to rural life and the land that nurtured them. Following below is a table presenting the populating course of the village. 

Year Number of residents Year Number of residents
1881 101 1946 338
1891 121 1960 310
1901 142 1973 328
1911 171 1976 350
1921 189 1982 221
1931 160 2001 144

 

Naming
The name of the village derived from a plant and more specifically a cyclamen which blossoms in the area and which is called “laoudkia” or else “fkia tou laou”, which means the ears of the hare. In other words, the name of the village, “laoudera” or “lagoudera” as it is known today, refers to an area where a lot of “laoudkia” blossom.

Natural environment
Wild vegetation of unique beauty spreads in the uncultivated expanses of the village. A special place among this vegetation is possessed by the pines, the golden oaks, the sumac, the chamomile, the hazelnut trees and the rose bushes. More: Natural Environment

Churches
Many people associate our village with the Byzantine chapel dedicated to “Panagia tou Araka”. It is a 12th century single-roomed church which is internally adorned by exquisite byzantine hagiographies. What is also worth mentioning is that the church of “Panagia tou Araka” is listed amongst the World Heritage Monuments of UNESCO. In the village there is also a 16th century church dedicated to Agios Georgios.

More: Religious Life

 

 
 
 July 2019

MTWTFSS
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031 
 
 
CONTACT US
 

COMMUNITY COUNCIL OF LAGOUDERA
2753 Lagoudera, Lefkosia
Τel.: 22652233, 94200900, 99693896
Fax:
22652233
Email:
lagouderacommunity@
cytanet.com.cy

 
Designed & Developed by NETinfo Plc